I used Acrobat 5 on my old laptop but the new one came with Acrobat 6 pre-installed. The time it takes to launch Acrobat 6 is painful, even on a fast machine. I remembered that Ned had posted about this a while ago. See Darrell Norton’s article on how to make Acrobat 6 load faster. Here’s what I did:
- Open the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader.
- Open the plug_ins folder.
- Select all folders and files in plug_ins except for EWH32.api, printme.api, search.api.
- Move everything that you selected to the folder called Optional that’s in the same directory as the plug_ins folder.
- Launch Acrobat Reader to make sure it still works. If not, make sure that you left the three plugins in the appropriate directory.
Your mileage may vary but for me Acrobat now comes up almost instantaneously. Why did Adobe do this to us? I know Acrobat Reader is free but why were all of these bulky plugins added? (Via Ned Batchelder)